Antikythera Mechanism 'Interact and Predict' app - a portable universe for your smartphone
This app enables you to interactively play and predict with the Antikythera Mechanism. It predicts solar and lunar eclipses, the phase and location of the moon, planetary positions etc. The calendar used is our modern familiar one, as well as the original lunisolar greek and solar egyptian calendars.
iOS version (iPhone, iPad & Mac - 10.15 macOS Catalina or later)
Get the world’s most impressive ancient technology in your palm
Available in English, Greek, German, French, Italian, Spanish.
Get introduced and fascinated by the world’s most ancient technology, the Antikythera Mechanism! Familiarize yourself with the zodiac constellations, planetary motions and solar system. The unique finding of Antikythera Mechanism is now at your hands. It enables you to orient yourself in the night sky, and make various predictions about the moon, eclipses, planetary motions and even Olympic and other ancient games. The ancient egyptian and greek Metonic calendars are included, as in the original device. The app enables real time predictions, as well as navigation in the past and future.
DiscoveryThe Antikythera Mechanism was discovered back in 1900, by sponge divers off the coast of the island of Antikythera. The geared device was designed to make calculations, and being so complex, it took 100 years to unlock its secrets. It is exhibited at the National Archaeological Museum of Athens.
App features• Simulation and use of the Antikythera Mechanism, tuned to our modern calendar
• Intuitive use
• Predicts moon position and phase
• Predicts solar and lunar eclipses
• Predicts positions of the five naked-eye planets: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn
• Extensive graphical help menu, explaining details of all the features to the more curious users
• After making your own eclipse predictions, the app enables to check against the NASA eclipse website
• Planetary motions are described in terms of ancient epicyclic theories, modeled by gear calculations in the app
• Database of the moon and planetary positions from 1920 to 2120. This can be used to cross check the accuracy of the gears, in real time as you operate the device within the app.